Black Sea Horizon
The Black Sea Horizon is a new S&T cooperation project under the Horizon 2020 that generally support the EU’s external relations with the target region by significantly contributing to ongoing bi-regional and regional science, technology and innovation (STI) policy dialogues and cooperation. The project consortium consists of 19 partners from Black Sea countries, EU Member States and Associated Countries. The coordinator (ZSI) and other 7 partners are from the Danube Region.
- Posted on: 20.03.2015
- Project date: February 2015 - February 2018
- Acronym: BSH
- Coordinating institute: Centre for Social Innovation GmbH (ZSI)
The three main objectives of the BLACK SEA HORIZON are:
- to support the EU’s external relations with the target region by significantly contributing to ongoing bi-regional and regional STI policy dialogues, and by increasing the knowledge base about the EU’s external environment,
- to stimulate bi-regional STI cooperation and to strengthen the EU’s economic competitiveness
- to contribute to the establishment of supportive framework conditions by facilitating the pooling of resources and by identifying challenging thematic areas for mutual STI cooperation.
In terms of policy dialogue, BSH aims to address all the relevant policy dialogue fora from the beginning of the project in order to establish a two-way communication: to inform the policy makers about the objectives, results and achievements of the project and, vice-versa, to receive guidance and support for a successful implementation and/or follow-up of its actions.
In terms of concrete actions (the ‘operational level’), the project implements a series of activities requested by the call (and beyond):
- BSH promotes the participation in HORIZON 2020 (identification of topics for cooperation, implementing grants to increase networking, promoting participation in co-fund schemes, etc.);
- BSH promotes innovation (cluster policies, business contacts among clusters, other forms of innovation).
Moreover, BSH is to build on the achievements of the BS-ERANET that successfully launched a joint call in the region, by paving the ground for a Regional Funding Platform able to sustainably implement joint research funding activities in the Black Sea region.
Ultimately and as a result and synthesis of all its activities and achievements, the BSH project will develop a sustainable “EU-Black Sea Cooperation Programme in STI (BSCP)” to be presented to the afore-mentioned policy dialogue fora for endorsement and support. In that respect the project aims to constitute a good practice example and to contribute towards the direction of an ‘EU Strategy for the Black Sea region’.
The partnership consisting of 19 partners is also involved in other currently ongoing cooperation and support actions targeting the countries covered by BSH, a fact that stimulates cooperation and synergies with the parallel running initiatives and projects.
Danube Region Partners
Applied Research and Communications Fund - Bulgaria
PT-DLR Project Management Agency-Germany - Germany
For further information, please click here.